September 20, 2005
|RQ-1 Predator Ambush 2005 Iraq
Uploaded on Aug 11, 2007 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oLrA7k47tE
The body of Sascha Grenner-Case American civilian, husband of Karen Grenner-Case being kicked, stoned and item stolen. No virginia national guard around to stop this. Va guard said they returned to site, guess they sat there and watched this. Nice job 1173rd protecting Americans.
KBR ambushed video 3 unarmed Amrerican civilians left behind by the Virginia National Guard. This is the video that shows the death of 3 unarmed American civilians. Keven Dagit was killed in this ambush. Kevens truck is in the lower part of the video when it shows Sascha Grenner-Case being kicked and stoned after the I.P. (iraqi police) killed him. Keven was shot inside his truck and then set on fire, burnt to death. see the Preston Wheeler video for the rest of the story.
Prisoners of War:
Keven Dagit later KIA
Sascha Grenner-Case later KIA
Preston Wheeler later shot, wounded
this video was sent to me from Iraq in 2006
|From WISTV 10 wistv.com 09/28/06
Investigation clears Guard unit of accusations it abandoned civilian convoy
(Richmond, VA-AP) September 28, 2006 - The military is clearing a Virginia National Guard unit in a videotaped incident in Iraq.
The civilian American truck driver who made the tape says he and three colleagues were "abandoned" by the unit when Iraqi insurgents attacked their convoy. His video shows a military personnel carrier racing away, as four trucks are disabled.
Crouching down in his truck, his camera rolling, the driver watched three other drivers shot to death at point-blank range. He says it was nearly 40 minutes before American troops came back.
But the military says it immediately investigated the incident, which happened in September of last year. They say no soldiers abandoned the convoy - and that the troops "fought back bravely."
Posted 6:10pm by Chantelle Janelle
Defense of Freedom Medal Dagit & Grenner-Case family
|From Corp Watch corpwatch.org 10/28/10:
IRAQ: Iraq war logs: WikiLeaks' virtual memorial
by Pratap Chatterjee, The Guardian
October 28th, 2010
A short, sharp burst of gunfire into their speeding vehicle killed three Iraqi police officers immediately, and wounded another. On the fifth anniversary of the US invasion of their country, the Iraqi police were on their way to help the 87th infantry regiment of the US Army just outside the volatile city of Kirkuk to defuse a possible car bomb. A trigger-happy US gunner, mistaking them for possible insurgents, brought a sudden and tragic end to the police mission.
The detailed incident report (# 342:001) recorded by the US military is now available thanks to Wikileaks – three deaths from a list of 44 people killed on 19 March 2008. It confirms a much shorter incident report in the meticulous records kept by Iraq Body Count, a volunteer group of ordinary citizens who have made it their mission to track the number of people killed in Iraq since 19 March 2003. Each such incident logged in their database has been confirmed by at least two different sources.
"However many civilians are killed in the onslaught on Iraq, their death toll should not go unnoticed by those who are paying, in taxes, for their slaughter," read the original mission statement of Iraq Body Count. In the middle of their homepage, the group has highlighted the now famous comment of General Tommy Franks made early on in the global "war on terror": "We don't do body counts."
Now, Wikileaks has made it possible for Iraq Body Count to prove that the Pentagon has, indeed, secretly always known the names and details of how many died.
Both the military and the volunteer databases capture roughly 108,000 deaths since the invasion. But a close comparison of the two made by several Iraq Body Count volunteers working in secret around the clock over the last few weeks has determined that only about 64,000 civilian deaths match, suggesting that if the two databases were merged – the real toll of documented violent deaths (civilian and combatant) is actually 150,000. (The Pentagon lists another 192,695 injured.)
For example, Iraq Body Count has documented 17 border guards shot to death on 19 March 2008 in Basra. The Iraq war logs, kept by the Pentagon, logged no such incident. On the other hand, the Pentagon database caught a death on the same day that Iraq Body Count did not list: the killing of Hibah Ahmad Kazim Aboud (# 072:444) in Najaf, a 13-year-old girl, who had been "shot in the head with AK-47 rifle rounds".
There are some 93,553 pages of such deadly incidents and they range from the criminal to the tragic: The first civilian death recorded on 1 January 2004 (# 070:114) is that of Abdul Jubar Mustafa, the dean of science in al-Hamdaniya, near Mosul, who was killed by a gunshot to the head by unknown assailants.
The last recorded civilian death, on 31 December 2009 (# 016:766), is that of an unnamed, and apparently drunk, Iraqi who was driving south near the city of Babylon in a Toyota Landcruiser when he came upon a US armoured vehicle from the 180th Transportation Battalion driving the wrong way in his lane. He swerved, lost control of his car and died, when his car hit a heavy equipment transporter vehicle.
Between those two dates, I remember a short visit that I made to the Baghdad morgue in April 2004, on my second visit to the country. I walked through the quiet hallways, whose pink walls were suffused with a meditative glow by the sunlight streaming in from the skylight. I met with Dr Kais Hassan Salman, the director of statistics, to ask him if it was true that violence was on the rise. He frowned and pulled a sheaf of papers from his desk and dutifully reeled off the numbers: "January 2003, 10 bodies; February, 1; January 2004, 500; February, 394." Dr Abdul Razzak al-Obaidi, the deputy director of the Baghdad morgue, told me that many of the bodies were never identified nor claimed.
The figures were staggeringly different – roughly 25 times higher than before the invasion. I didn't know it at the time, but the figures would rise much, much higher over the course of the next five years to 100 or more every single day at the height of the sectarian frenzy in 2005 and 2006. And hundreds more would perish in the US-led bombings of Fallujah and other cities.
Over the years, those body counts became actual names to me. I remember Ghareeb, who drove an ambulance through the gunfire to rescue people in Fallujah, only to be shot in the head outside Najaf by militants. I remember a friend–- Marla Ruzicka – who died in a suicide bomb attack in Baghdad after devoting her life to create Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict – to make amends to those who died in the Afghanistan and Iraq. I remember having to break the news of how Sascha Grenner-Case, a Halliburton trucker, was killed to his grieving partner in Sierra Vista, Arizona, because the Pentagon would not call her back. This list goes on.
Seven years after the fall of Saigon in 1975, construction began on a memorial in Washington, DC. Today, there are 58,267 names listed on the Vietnam memorial, to honour the US soldiers who died in that pointless war. Now, seven years after the invasion of Baghdad, Wikileaks has created a virtual memorial to the many who perished in another pointless war. I searched that virtual wall in the last few days to find more names of my friends who died, half-afraid that of what I would discover.
And I wonder: shouldn't the Pentagon have told us what they knew all along, instead of pretending that they didn't know and claiming that everything was going well? If, every day, they had had to tell the public what so many of us experienced of the true human cost of war, perhaps the violence would have ended sooner.
|From NBC News nbcnews.com 09/28/06:
Guard unit was investigated after convoy attack
Military denies unit abandoned Halliburton drivers after insurgent attack.
updated 9/28/2006 9:33:58 PM ET
A Virginia National Guard unit came under scrutiny after a video seemed to show troops abandoning a civilian truck convoy during an attack by Iraqi insurgents, resulting in the killings of three unarmed drivers.
The video, obtained by ABC News, shows a military personnel carrier racing away after insurgents open fire and disable four Halliburton trucks last September near Balad, Iraq.
“I do not know who the driver was of that Humvee, but he abandoned us,” civilian driver Preston Wheeler of Mena, Ark., who taped the footage, told ABC News.
Wheeler said almost 40 minutes passed before U.S. troops returned.
Military officials said Thursday that there was an immediate investigation, which found that no personnel had abandoned the convoy and they responded properly.
“They fought back bravely while waiting for reinforcements and attending to the casualties,” Lt. Col. Michelle Martin-Hing, a spokeswoman for the Multi-National Force-Iraq, told The Associated Press in an e-mail.
In fact, Martin-Hing said, investigators recommended that one soldier and one civilian be nominated for awards for the actions during the Sept. 20, 2005, incident.
Virginia Guard officials confirmed Thursday that its 1173rd Transportation Company was on active federal status at the time. Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Chester Carter III referred all questions to the Tampa, Fla.-based U.S. Central Command, home of key command centers in the U.S. war on terrorism.
Wheeler said that while the troops were absent, he crouched down in his truck and watched two truck drivers being shot at point-blank range.
“They just killed ’em. They just killed him. Oh my God,” Wheeler said in the video.
Wheeler can be heard on the tape pleading for help on his radio: “Please help me ... I’m fixin’ to get killed. I have no gun back here. I am by myself!”
Deadly postal route
Those killed in the attack were Keven Dagit, 42, of Jefferson, Iowa; Sascha Grenner-Case, age unavailable, of Sierra Vista, Ariz.; and Christopher Lem, 40, of Lyndon Station, Wis., said Cathy Mann, a Halliburton spokeswoman. They were killed while delivering the mail, according to a news release from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The military investigation found that “individuals at the front of the convoy reacted as they were taught by pushing forward and getting out of the kill zone of the ambush,” Martin-Hing wrote.
“What is not visible in the video being shown is that they collected the casualties they could reach and laid down suppressive fire with their weapons to help get those vehicles that could move from the front of the convoy out of the kill zone,” she wrote.
The troops then set up security, called for support and medical evacuations and directed the movements of other gun trucks farther back in the convoy, she said.
In a news release, KBR, Halliburton’s engineering and construction subsidiary, did not address the details of the incident but said the military has “command and control” over its convoys in Iraq and is “required to provide security.”
Click To Return To Main Page
Don't Let The Memory Of Them Drift Away
Copyright 2015 Q Madp PO Box 86888 Portland OR 97286-0888 www.OurWarHeroes.org